Search This Blog

Vegan Deep Fried Apple Pie



I decided to go overboard today. I have this need, to make up for my lack of activity these past few days.

Being Vegan makes me really put on my thinking cap to concoct recipes that I would enjoy. My challenge is to make recipes that I would eat even when I'm back to being a carnivore. I'm really aiming for traditional recipes that I can replicate in vegan form, and this apple pie recipe is the perfect example.

I'm taking something as basic as apple pie, and giving it my own twist, while all the time sticking to my vegan diet. The real challenge is to replicate the pie crust, which is why I have opted for this deconstructed version. It still gives you the crunchy pie effect with soft, luscious apple filling inside.



Serves 4

8 Spring roll sheets. You can use phyllo sheets or even samosa skins instead
4 large apples, cubed (peeled, optional)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1 whole cinnamon stick
4 cloves
1 tsp grated nutmeg
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp bourbon or dark rum
A pinch of salt

In a sauce pan, on a low heat, add the sugar and water. Do not stir, rather twirl the pan to ensure the sugar is evenly spread out. The aim is to make wet caramel. Once the liquid turns an amber colour, add the apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Cook on a low heat till apples are soft and tender. Add the lemon juice and salt and give it a quick stir. Add the bourbon and let it simmer for a few mins. I actually flambed the sauce with bourbon, but if you have never done this before...then today is not the day you try. If you aren't confident, just let the bourbon simmer for a few mins. Remove from heat and cool.

For the spring rolls, follow this technique to roll in up. Since I'm vegan, I substituted the egg with a cornflour slurry (cornflour + water), and used a toothpick to fasten it in pace. Make sure you save some sauce from the apples to serve and garnish.



Deep fry these babies till golden and then let it cool for a few mins. Dust with icing sugar and serve with remaining apple sauce.



Tip: These rolls are best served warm. Since most of you aren't vegan, serve with vanilla ice cream drizzled with leftover apple sauce. You can also use the same recipe but substitute the apple for other fruits like bananas or pineapples.